Wednesday, June 26, 2013

Doc - The Rise and Rise of Julius Erving by Vincent M Mallozzi

I finished reading “Doc: The Rise and Rise of Julius Erving” by Vincent M. Mallozzi this last weekend and have to say that I really enjoyed reading it. It took me back to my younger days when I was one of Dr. J’s fans that tried my best to master finger rolling a basketball into the hoop because I couldn’t dunk. Dr. J was one of my all time favorite basketball players and still is. So, yes, I enjoyed reading the book.


The book really was written by a fan for fans. On the next to last page, the author writes, “It is a shame that Erving did not want to participate in this project (a number of calls went out to Erving’s representatives and to his ex-wife, Turquoise, and their children, but most were not returned), because this entire book is basically a giant Valentine from one of his biggest fans.” That sums it up pretty well, and what’s wrong with that? Dr. J, Julius Erving, had a legion of fans and I’m sure many will enjoy being taken back to those glory days just as I was.


Does the book shed light on things not already available? Probably not, but the author did a great amount of research and talking to people to pull it all together in one source. Are there inaccuracies? Maybe, but talk to anyone about anything that happened in the past and you’ll uncover inaccuracies. It happens.


The greatest part of the book focuses on Erving’s basketball career. From his beginnings, through the ABA to his retirement from the NBA. Mallozzi does a good job of describing the electrifying performances of the legendary Dr. J. Reading the book took me right back to when I first saw some of those dunks on television as they happened. Other stories made me wish the ABA games and street games in New York would have been recorded.


The last part of the book briefly covers some of the things that went on with Erving after his retirement. Much of this portion is not flattering or as heroic as his feats on the basketball court. There are snippets about the comeback one-on-one game he lost to Kareem, marital problems including illegitimate children, divorce, and his children’s troubles. To be honest, I didn’t enjoy reading this as much as I did about his fabulous dunks and the professionalism and poise he had playing the game and to those he played with. He was a childhood hero, and I enjoyed that part much better. Sure, I know he was human and had his faults. Don’t we all? I just enjoyed reading about the positive elements of his life better than the negative. I’m glad the author put them in the book, since they are part of who Julius Erving is, but I’m also glad that these elements were a small portion of the overall text.


If you are a fan of Dr. J., I’d recommend this book. If you want to learn a little history about a player that captured basketball like few others and is still considered to be one of the all time greats, check this book out. For me, I’m really glad I read it. It took me back and helped me relive some great memories of a boyhood basketball hero.



Doc - The Rise and Rise of Julius Erving by Vincent M Mallozzi

No comments:

Post a Comment